With hot summer weather on the way, nothing’s better than stepping outside and relaxing on a sunny patio. The right patio doors will not only make it easier to get outdoors, but they will also showcase your unique sense of style and improve your property’s functionality and value. That said, there are dozens of options available on the market, and it can be challenging to find the perfect patio doors for your space. If you’re considering upgrading your home with new patio doors, here’s what you need to know before shopping around.
What to Consider When Choosing Patio Doors
Beauty and style are probably the first things you think about when looking at different patio doors. However, there are a lot of other factors you should take into consideration to get the best results possible:
- Durability: While most people use their patio doors more in the sunny summer months, year-round weather here in the Pacific Northwest is often rainy and harsh. All of your exterior doors should be durable enough to perform well even during our cold and wet winters.
- Ease of operation: A great sliding patio door will glide effortlessly when you open or close it. The last thing you want is a door that gets stuck or only opens partially. When selecting an option for your space, try to test out the door to make sure it works as easily as it should.
- Maintenance requirements: Though all exterior doors require some cleaning and care to look their best, some require a little more maintenance than others. Selecting one with a material that is fast and easy to clean will save you time and effort in the long run.
- Energy efficiency: Doors and windows play a big role in the energy efficiency of our homes. Your patio doors are no exception. Look for products that can help conserve energy to make it easier for your heating and cooling system to maintain a comfortable temperature all year long.
Material Options for Patio Doors
The material you pick for your patio doors will have the biggest impact on durability, maintenance, and energy efficiency. While there are a lot of good options available, here’s an overview of some of the most popular materials:
- Vinyl is a great choice because it is affordable, strong, and available in different colors.
- Aluminum has risen to popularity for its sleek, modern look and easy maintenance.
- Fiberglass is loved for its durability and advanced energy efficiency.
Not sure which material is best for your patio doors? Don’t worry! At Lifetime Windows & Doors, we offer a wide range of high-quality products that use dependable materials. Our team of experienced craftsmen can discuss your needs and goals to help determine which option is right for your space.
What Are Moving Glass Wall Systems?
Moving glass wall systems are unique alternatives to traditional patio doors. They are customized to fit your space and stretch all the way from the floor to the ceiling for a continuous glassy look. With 3 to 6-panel configurations and stacking, pocket, or bi-fold doors, there are endless style and design options. If you want to showcase your view, then a moving glass wall system might be the perfect solution for your home or business.
Your Local Experts
If you want to transform your space by adding a new patio door or a moving glass wall system to your home or business, we can help! For nearly 25 years, we have worked with clients across Oregon and Washington to open up their spaces with new exterior doors. Our reputation for quality workmanship speaks for itself. If you’re ready to experience Pacific Northwest living with the perfect combination of indoor and outdoor living with a new moving glass wall system or a new patio door, call us today for a free estimate!